Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
MMBN Randomizer
Topic Started: Aug 9 2014, 03:15 PM (7,631 Views)
Prof. 9
Member Avatar
Moderaptor

As we all (hopefully!) know, The Rockman EXE Zone turns 8 years on 12th August 2014! To celebrate, here's a little present:

Mega Man Battle Network Randomizer
Introducing the MMBN Randomizer! This is a side project I've been working on for quite a while now. I based the idea off the various Pokémon randomizers out there; for the uninitiated, they randomize a ROM of any RPG Pokémon game so that the Pokémon found in the wild and used by Trainers are all random. I decided to do something similar for Mega Man Battle Network. It should be good fun for races as well!

This program is written in Java and runs on any platform with Java 7 or higher installed.

Posted Image

Features
The MMBN Randomizer takes a Mega Man Battle Network ROM and randomizes a bunch of things:
  • The codes of every BattleChip;
  • Your starting folder;
  • The enemies in every virus encounter;
  • Which BattleChips are dropped by enemies;
  • Which BattleChips are found in mystery data;
  • Which BattleChips can be bought in shops.
  • And some more!
As for Program Advances, the randomizer will make sure that it is still possible to form any PA; but it will be more difficult to find all the component chips needed, as the place you get them will be random.

Furthermore, any gates that require you to have a specific chip, or a certain number of chips in your Library, are reprogrammed so that you can always open them. (However, this feature does not yet support fan translations, like exeguy11's Rockman EXE 6 translation.)

Compatibility
Currently, the MMBN Randomizer is compatible with the following games:
  • Mega Man Battle Network 6: All versions and regions.
  • Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Colonel, North American version only.
The randomizer also supports most fan mods of the above games! There may be some small bugs when using mods, though. Support for other games and regions is planned.

Notes
Important: Since all chip codes are randomized, save files are locked to the seed that was used. If you use a save file from the clean ROM or a randomized ROM with a different seed, the game will softlock when you enter folder edit and you can't use any of your chips in battle.

Sometimes, when you receive a BattleChip from a character in the game, the wrong code is displayed. However, if you check your pack afterwards, the chip will be there (albeit in a different code).

Credits

• Prof. 9

• Planning
    • Programming
  • MidniteW

• Icon
    • Beta testing
Download
MMBN Randomizer v1.0

The MMBN Randomizer is an open source project. The source can be found at https://github.com/Prof9/mmbn-randomizer.
Edited by Prof. 9, Aug 9 2014, 04:58 PM.
:ninja: Follow me on Twitter!
:trap: Fork me on GitHub!
Posted Image

ChaosKnights368
Member Avatar
Newb
Should be an interesting playthrough with this.
Posted Image

Tterraj42
No Avatar
nice work as always!

MHFsilver
Member Avatar
Newb
Time for a BN6 Falzar any% random seed ;)
Posted Image Posted Image
Member of TeamBN. I'm the Star Force guy.

Naegi Makoto
Member Avatar
TREZian
So not only Pokemon, but MMBN as well?
This is interesting. I might try it later...
Currently:
Working as an assistant programmer in this project : Ciel Fledge
3rd year of University, Information Technology Major

Aura Of The Dawn
No Avatar
Newb
So... Does this take requests asking for a specific chip into account while randomizing? Does it still look for the same chip and code if it doesn't exist, or look for a different code of same chip, or something else entirely? Specifically, the request in BN6 Falzar asking for a dolthunder1 A no longer exists. Does the existing text just remain as is and check for a different chip or code?

If not, is this something that can be taken into account when next you update this?

(And good work on something that adds much replayability to a game. Certainly hope to see this expanded to the other BN games.)

Prof. 9
Member Avatar
Moderaptor

Aura Of The Dawn
Dec 17 2014, 09:55 PM
So... Does this take requests asking for a specific chip into account while randomizing? Does it still look for the same chip and code if it doesn't exist, or look for a different code of same chip, or something else entirely? Specifically, the request in BN6 Falzar asking for a dolthunder1 A no longer exists. Does the existing text just remain as is and check for a different chip or code?

If not, is this something that can be taken into account when next you update this?

(And good work on something that adds much replayability to a game. Certainly hope to see this expanded to the other BN games.)
For BN6, it takes into account gates that require a certain chip by setting it to one of the chips in your starting folder. I haven't looked into sidequests yet. It might be implemented eventually, but it's not a priority.
Edited by Prof. 9, Dec 18 2014, 01:30 PM.
:ninja: Follow me on Twitter!
:trap: Fork me on GitHub!
Posted Image

Aura Of The Dawn
No Avatar
Newb
Yeah, it's not a huge deal, mostly just affects Protoman's last form. A small fix in the meantime, if it's possible, is to adjust protoman's last form to be accessible without doing all the requests, so as not to mess with the postgame stuff, but it's not major. You fix the gates wanting a certain number of chips which I assume fixes the 'need all megachips' gate, so it certainly isn't a huge deal. Just the absence of a particular challenge.

Thanks for taking it under consideration anyway, and thanks again for such a great program.
Edited by Aura Of The Dawn, Dec 18 2014, 04:36 PM.

neo22
No Avatar
Newb
Nice Program.

DarkSoulMan
No Avatar
This program is awesome! It really brings a new life to the games--I've shown it to all of my friends that we absolutely love it.

Is there any chance that you'll be able to make it compatible with BN3 and 4?

Aura Of The Dawn
No Avatar
Newb
A thought arises RE: BN4 compatibility with blue moon. That game gets crashy on emulators, with both certain chips, and with the woodman soul. Can you include fixes for this in your randomizer, as an option if nothing else, or if not, what patch would we need that would still be compatible with your randomizer? The only BN4 patch I see that fixes the crashes on this site (This One) also does some things with dummied chips,which sounds like it might screw with any randomizer setup.

Just something I wanted to raise before you got too far in trying to add BN4 (which you were working on, according to source commits.)
Edited by Aura Of The Dawn, Feb 17 2015, 10:43 AM.

223mile
Member Avatar
nice i will try this
My Personal Blog: 223milepersonalblog.blogspot.com
*at last after 2 years i already get back my account hmm where i will start *

Rockman X.exe
Member Avatar
Can't wait to see a randomized version of BN2 or 3 especially when Mamoru asks the infamous IceBall M
Posted Image (that's my old nickname)
Posted Image
Posted Image

Even if can't win... I won't lose!

Sphyrwa
No Avatar
Newb
Rockman X.exe
Apr 3 2015, 11:34 AM
Can't wait to see a randomized version of BN2 or 3 especially when Mamoru asks the infamous IceBall M
https://github.com/samfin/mmbn3-random

You'll need to fiddle around with Python a bit though.
Credits to Mountebank
Edited by Sphyrwa, Apr 8 2015, 09:19 AM.

GreyRock.EXE
Member Avatar
TREZian
Prof. 9 I must say you are BEAUTIFUL this code is superb
if only you could figure out how to retrieve internal names for files in star force bins...
Quote:

I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the Constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who's gonna save your lives and all 6 billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?
-The Doctor
Posted Image

Rockman X.exe
Member Avatar
Can we hope getting more easily the chips of the opposite version and the secret chips in BN4 RS/BN?
Posted Image (that's my old nickname)
Posted Image
Posted Image

Even if can't win... I won't lose!

SF Mega
Member Avatar
Yeah BN4 will be awesome

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Tools · Next Topic »