Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
BN4 WoodMan Glitch Fix v2.0
Topic Started: Feb 22 2013, 02:32 PM (5,086 Views)
Prof. 9
Member Avatar
Moderaptor

NOTE: Since 4 April 2015 there is a new set of patches. I recommend you use these instead of the old ones, because those affected the WoodTower timings. You will need to apply them to a CLEAN ROM, so you will have to re-dump your game if you don't have one lying around.

Mega Man Battle Network 4 has a bug where if you play the game on a DS, or some emulators, it often crashes the game in the WoodMan scenario. This is, to my knowledge, the only GBA-DS compatibility glitch officially acknowledged by Nintendo. I made this fix in 2011, recently I decided to convert them all to Action Replay v3 codes. I haven't playtested the whole game to see if they cause any problems, though I haven't encountered any. I also have only tested the ARv3 codes in an emulator, since I don't own an ARv3 device.

In the link below you'll find two types of fixes, ROM patch and Action Replay v3 code. If you're going to use an actual Action Replay device, keep in mind you may have to enter a Master Code in order for it to work. Emulators usually don't require Master Codes In order to use the ARv3 codes on VisualBoy Advance, enter them as a GameShark code. If you use them on No$gba, make sure that RAW is not checked.

Download: https://github.com/Prof9/bn4-woodman-fix/releases/download/v2.0/WoodMan_Glitch_Fix_v2.0.zip
Source: https://github.com/Prof9/bn4-woodman-fix/

Old versions
Edited by Prof. 9, Apr 4 2015, 03:01 PM.
:ninja: Follow me on Twitter!
:trap: Fork me on GitHub!
Posted Image

Nigoli
Member Avatar
TREZian
People would have killed for this back in the day. A lot of people I know have had this problem always. I never really had problems since I've always used GBA hardware. I'm thinking the game's random datablocks are the cause of it, I could wrong though.
Code:

Red Sun (m)
D163BAEC 360F3467
CAF91D33 D1D80400

Blue Moon (m)
D163BAEC 360F3467
F3A0B626 E1A86DF7
I made these off my games back then from my Japanese Cartridges with an ASM disassembler and tested them out to see if they worked fine. They did. They're both for v1.0 though. Especially the Tournament Red Sun. They should work for these codes above I hope.
Edited by Nigoli, Mar 8 2013, 03:59 PM.
Spoiler: click to toggle
~Don't bother PMing me localized nonsense I don't care about. You will be ignored.

Posted Image General Blog | Posted Image Rockman Series Blog

Midnite
Member Avatar
Moderpator

What's the difference between the v1.0 and v1.1 of Red Sun? Was there a huge coding glitch they had to fix?
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

Prof. 9
Member Avatar
Moderaptor

Nigoli
Mar 8 2013, 03:54 PM
I never really had problems since I've always used GBA hardware. I'm thinking the game's random datablocks are the cause of it, I could wrong though.
The random memory shifting has nothing to do with it. No, it's because BN4 was poorly bugtested and in this scenario is trying to display 1 more sprite than it has loaded, which causes it to try and load sprite data from a non-existent memory range.

The bug is probably caused by the DS handling reads to this memory range differently than the GBA (when you try to read non-existent memory, it always returns 0x00 or 0xFF). The GBA would be returning a value that the game interprets as the end of sprite data, whereas the DS would be returning a different value which causes the game to continuously load sprite data and increment the offset, until it hits an offset that's in mapped memory again and reads a value to terminate the sprite data. This is also why the game will start running again if you leave your DS on for an hour or so. As for why it will run fullspeed again, though, I am not sure.

Basically the bug occurs on both GBA and DS but you only notice the effects on DS. The fix simply makes it load 1 sprite less. It's maybe not the perfect fix but it is a short one and we haven't found any side effects.

Midnite
Mar 8 2013, 06:09 PM
What's the difference between the v1.0 and v1.1 of Red Sun? Was there a huge coding glitch they had to fix?
No idea. It'd be a pain to check since the game was, of course, recompiled, so you can't just do a byte-wise comparison. But yes, ROM revisions usually have bugfixes, though they might as well be minor ones that they just threw in for a second batch of cartridges (recall than EXE4 was the best selling MMBN game in Japan).

Which makes me wonder, was there ever a v1.1 for Blue Moon? (Note: if anyone has it, PM me so I can port the fix to it. You don't need to upload or send me the ROM, though you do have to be able to dump it.)
Edited by Prof. 9, Mar 9 2013, 03:10 AM.
Posted Image

Nigoli
Member Avatar
TREZian
^ I'm pretty sure the Tournament Red Sun v1.1 comes from the one in the Double Pack / non colored cartridge versions. Tournament Blue Moon comes along with it, which is the last printed release of these games. This was the way they did budget pricing back then (GBA 5's Value Pack for each version, and 6 for the BLG DX Editions.), excluding how the bonus GPP G was also in the pack.

I know a Friend that has the Double Pack, but I haven't seen him around in quite sometime. Not sure if he'd want to dump one of his games for something like this. Let alone having an interest. I've sort of lost interest a long time ago myself getting v1.1 copies. I never needed Double Pack, and I usually prefer my colored cartridges anyway that are v1.0. Blame the scene groups for not knowing or dumping it along with Red Sun years ago.
Edited by Nigoli, Mar 9 2013, 03:27 AM.
Spoiler: click to toggle
~Don't bother PMing me localized nonsense I don't care about. You will be ignored.

Posted Image General Blog | Posted Image Rockman Series Blog

Prof. 9
Member Avatar
Moderaptor

Update: as it turns out, my old fixes slightly affected the timings of the WoodTowers that pop up during WoodMan's scenario, making each cycle one frame shorter than it should be. As such, I've created a new fix that you can find in the first post.

Since the new fix is a bit longer, I've also put it on GitHub: https://github.com/Prof9/bn4-woodman-fix

NOTE: You will need to apply them to a CLEAN ROM, so you will have to re-dump your game if you don't have one lying around.
Edited by Prof. 9, Apr 4 2015, 03:05 PM.
Posted Image

Digifiend
No Avatar
Newb
What's the point of the Red Sun patch? The Woodman scenario is only in Blue Moon.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Battle Network · Next Topic »