Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
New Rules regarding signatures.
Topic Started: Apr 26 2011, 11:06 AM (5,482 Views)
Nemomon
Member Avatar
This is my melody and it's just the raver's fantasy

New Rules:

Important Rules

Signature Rule:
  • Animated GIFs are no longer allowed unless permission is given by a Staff Member.
  • Your entire signature including text, images, etc. must fit inside this box:
    Posted Image

• If you want more signature space or a small animated gif, contact TREZ Staff [nemo]HERE[/nemo]. You must provide an example of the signature you are requesting to use.
  • Staff Members are allowed to remove big signatures without any notification.
  • Users may not hotlink images in their signature. Please upload in your own space.
  • File size of all combined images cannot be greater than 300KB.
  • The following BBCodes are not allowed:
    • Spoiler
    • Flash
    • BetaQuote
    • Code
    • HTML
    • Off Topic
    • Random
    • Float
    • List
    • Table
TREZians have 1 week to change their signatures or request permission for having a bigger one. After that, signatures may be deleted.
Posted Image Posted Image

Herobrine
Member Avatar
Dedicated Member
Hmm...
Okay this is a dumb question but...
The not allowed BB codes are for signatures only right?
Posted Image

Nemomon
Member Avatar

TomahawkGX
Apr 26 2011, 11:09 AM
Hmm...
Okay this is a dumb question but...
The not allowed BB codes are for signatures only right?
Yes, they are allowed in forum. Because they can make a big block of text, they are not allowed in signatures.

Herobrine
Member Avatar
Dedicated Member
So, these BB codes are not allowed because they would make the signature bigger than the maximum allowed...
I got it.
Edited by Herobrine, Apr 26 2011, 11:13 AM.
Posted Image

Midnite
Member Avatar
Moderpator

And a lot of people have cheated with the spoiler tags for more signature space.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

Herobrine
Member Avatar
Dedicated Member
Thats true.
I saw a lot of people doing it.
Posted Image

Jin
Member Avatar
TREZian
Yay! The sig limited size is bigger. I believe my siggy is alright, right? lol

MegaRockEXE
Member Avatar
BN Guides Author

I updated the post to include clearer language. Yeah, it's important for new members to understand the rules properly.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Nemomon
Member Avatar

Zero exe
Apr 26 2011, 12:25 PM
Yay! The sig limited size is bigger. I believe my siggy is alright, right? lol
Yes, I won't delete Your signature in nearest weekend.

Hakairyu
Member Avatar
The name is Kidink. Coin Kidink.

What the hell?! What is wrong with links to content inside the forum? Plus, my Hakai-eye=Haka joke is semi-ruined...

How can any of those there; excluding spoiler, flash, float, partially HTML and potentionally table be of any hazard? The only thing that is different between a text in a quote or betaquote tag and a text not in that is an additional line, and that is supposed to be covered by the sig size rule anyways. Offtop doesn't really make sense in a sig anyways, and I really wonder what got random banned here, plus lists are even better as thanks to their size the amount of content that they can put in is lesser, and isn't that exactly the only reason you have ever presented for banning all those tags?

Well, if that's what you want, why don't you ban the size tag as well? I can put one huge block of text with that code, and it'd be completely legal. You know, taking that a step further, let's ban all codes but image... or ban even that so that the only sigs we can use will be those which I'll refer to as ablon-styled. Wait, banning sigs altogether is an even better idea. Seriously, that's the idea one'd get if you keep reducing what we can do with sigs every other week: the idea that you are just slowly removing our sig priveleges to null.

So, can you please explain me what is the reason there is to ban quote/betaquote/code, links limited to those that are to pages on THIS forum, offtop/random, lists... and even float, what is wrong about writing text to the right of an image, and what's the purpose of having such huge width compared to that crappy height otherwise..., if I asked so kindly and finished my sentence with a "please"(and that's two pleases in one sentence, this isn't really the side of me you can get everyday)?
Hakairyu: Why did the whale cross the road?
----------/
---------\
-(\__/)/
(+'.'-/+) I was told to put this bunny in my sig. I did so, after putting a sword through it.
(")_/(")
---/
HvK: To get to the other tide!
I can haz Exclusive Star? Posted Image

ThyGamePlaya
Member Avatar
Fortune Fairy Reader
Here's something I would like to clear up, does the signature size include actual text like in my sig?
Posted Image
Made by PreacherDudeRox. It looks AWE-SOME and DAZZ-LING!
(:l)O< <- That guy is ossim.

Nemomon
Member Avatar

Hakai: Tomorrow I'll explain You every singe BBCode why is it banned. Now I'm busy, and also is night here. But I can tell You, that unless new BBCodes will appear someday, old BBCodes won't be banned for example because ban list is based on all current tags (for example it includes Random tag, which is rather new tag), so if I didn't banned them now, they won't be banned in future too.

Prof. 9
Member Avatar
Moderaptor

Some of these rules seem kind of redundant. No animated GIFs? Seriously? We're not living in the stone age anymore. An animated GIF is nothing more than a set of pictures with some frame delay data attached to them. If there is already a limit to the total file size of the image in your signature, why prohibit animations? It's completely meaningless; 300 KB of animated thingies isn't magically going to take longer to load than 300 KB of static PNG images.

I can think of not a single reason for not allowing quote, list, offtopic, table etc tags. Such BBcodes are an easy way to format your signature. Besides, couldn't you just put quote tags, then make a screenshot of it and put it in your signature as an image? Using images as substitutes for readily-available formatting BBCodes is counter-productive as it more or less forces people to use images to create a decent-looking signature where they could use BBCode instead which, as an added bonus, results in faster loading for the user since they only need to download a few bytes of HTML tags, not an entire image file (this is, of course, assuming the user isn't running Windows 95 on a potato). Another problem is that quotes are often a vital component of a signature; go to any serious forum and you'll find an abundances of signatures creating quotes. By forcing people to use custom formatting (e.g. Prof. 9 said:) you are making things a lot more complicated than they need to be. It only causes silly arguments over what should and should not be allowed when in contrast the rules could be very simple.

And spoilers not allowed? Images in spoilers still count towards the 300 KB file size limit and spoilers are a very effective way to provide more content in your signature without it turning into a page-stretcher. The last time I checked, spoilers are still auto-closed so there should be no harm in using them. Yes, of course people could put shock images in them but shouldn't that fall under the unspoken yet omnipresent rule of "use common sense"? The same goes for people who put entire fan fics in their spoiler tags; no, of course it's not okay, but... any normal person can see that. I don't see any good reason to ban spoiler tags; as far as I can see they actually promote creativity.

Finally, since when is preventing hotlinking TREZ' responsibility? If a website owner does not want to have their images hotlinked they can take steps to prevent it; for example, they can display a "no hotlinking allowed" image if the image is not being accessed from their own website. If they do not want to take such steps then the problem is theirs to deal with. Of course it's also possible that the website owners tolerate their images being hotlinked; surely you cannot punish users for hotlinking if the website they link to is okay with it? In short, there really is no feasible way to enforce a rule like this since you would need to determine if an image is being hotlinked or not on a case by case basis, which entirely defeats the point of making a rule for it in the first place.

[/rant]
Edited by Prof. 9, Apr 26 2011, 04:42 PM.
:ninja: Follow me on Twitter!
:trap: Fork me on GitHub!
Posted Image

Aizirk Mayune
Member Avatar
Nano Nano

The problem with animated GIFs with high FPS is it takes ages to load. And some others here have slow internet.
Not all of us have fast internet.

And the spoiler, it causes others to cheat on space and post images from there... and that loads.
Edited by Aizirk Mayune, Apr 26 2011, 05:55 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

PreacherDudeRox
Member Avatar
Twitter: @PreacherDudeRox

I think spoiler usage should be controlled but not restricted. It all depends. And come on, why so many codes?...

Posted Image

Posted Image
Legacy.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · News & Site Updates · Next Topic »

Skin by Fission

eXTReMe Tracker