Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Megaman Battle Network 'OperationPatch' (v0.7)); A simple mod for mmbn1
Topic Started: Aug 25 2017, 03:13 PM (1,574 Views)
BOBdotEXE
Member Avatar
Megaman Battle Network 'Operation Patch'
By: BOBdotEXE

Welcome to my first RomHack EVER!
I decided to start small (very small)

This is the 'OPeration Patch', And the goal is very simple,
Implement some of the improvements from 'Rockman.EXE Operate Shooting Star' into Battle Network!

I'd love to include ALL the changes, but that's way past my knowledge.
So for now, I'm just trying some smaller changes, for example....

Removing that nasty yellow coloring from the menus:
Posted ImagePosted Image
Those colors have not aged well...

Buffing the chips up to OSS levels!
Posted ImagePosted Image
(GutsPunch: MMBN:=60 dmg, OSS= 160 dmg!)

Adding some of the new oss chip codes:
Posted Image
(Shadowman: MMBN='S'...Just like 'Sharkman','stoneman' and 'Skullman'! Too many 'S' navi's! OSS='T' )

And even adding some other minor gameplay tweaks: (in alpha)

(Alpha Testing! Slower random battle encounter rate.)

This patch will even make (barely noticeable) changes to the battle screen!
Posted Image
...it's the thought that counts...

More Screen Shots:
Spoiler: click to toggle

Here are the changes so far:

Source, Source2.

You can download the latest version of this mod HERE! (Stable version). mirror.

Download Beta Testing version: N/A
Download Alpha testing version: https://www.mediafire.com/file/j141dw5bjjt4k4i/slow_encounters.zip (Alpha 2)

Beta/Alpha Changes:

This is built from a clean dump of the USA version of mmbn1. (no trimming)

Latest News! (9/19/2017)
-New Alpha release (Testing lower encounter rate)
-Taking a Brake from this project for a bit. I need to learn ASM before going any further. Current release is stable, feel free to offer feedback on the alpha.

TODO:
-Add option to revert chip values for 'Punch' chips to allow cubes to be punched.
- Add additional chip codes for non-navi chips. (the game's letters are all over the place, not going to bother)
-Slow virus encounter rate, to make it closer to OSS (Alpha testing)
-Add OSS folder restrictions (following release,(maybe)
- Add new mugshot sprites/backgrounds (later)
-Buff forte? (eventually)
-Enable run by default (in my next life)

Known Bugs:
- Gutspunch/Icepunch no longer push cubes (reported by: JubalTheLion)
-Rewards screen shows old chip letter for shadowman/skullman. (Doesn't effect gameplay)

I 100% understand that this useless for most people, I just made it for fun.

This mod would not be possible if it was not for the the work by:
(I wanted to have them all in the post, but This page is already super long, to make up for it, they will all be listed in the readme file of every future release {post 0.7} )

Edited by BOBdotEXE, Jan 6 2018, 01:29 AM.

botak551
No Avatar
is the stroy fully translated?

BOBdotEXE
Member Avatar
botak551
Sep 26 2017, 02:38 AM
is the story fully translated?
This is a patch for mmbn1, not oss.
(sorry for the confusion)
So, yes, the game will remain in English.

RemixV4
No Avatar
Newb
Really excited to see the changes. Would it be possible to add the escape feature by pressing a button instead of using the chip like the later games? If it could do that, it would be perfect.

JTE
No Avatar
Newb
There is one minor gotcha in MMBN1 that always bugged me: The way you get an email announcing new "wood armor" is available somewhere on the giant spaghetti internet that you hate to navigate, but you have to go grab it immediately because the very next thing that happens is you get locked into ElecMan's scenario, unable to backtrack and get it while ProtoMan difficulty-walls you with hits that are twice as strong as they're intended to be, because the game fully expects you to have already bought and equipped said armor before you came here and the only way out is to beat your head against him until you learn his patterns (which are understandably completely unlike anything encountered in the rest of the game in how it requires you to be patient to even be able to attack him) and can do the fight reliably without taking any hits.

I don't suppose there's any chance you could (or should) add a story flag that somehow prevents you from progressing into that trap situation without having talked to the netmerchant selling the armor first? It's probably okay if you don't, we've all played through this game before after all. :depressed:
Edited by JTE, Nov 3 2017, 06:15 AM.

SomeStuffOnWeb
No Avatar
Newb
Hello, how do you change the colors of the menu and chips?

BOBdotEXE
Member Avatar
SomeStuffOnWeb
Nov 26 2017, 09:16 PM
Hello, how do you change the colors of the menu and chips?
I had to edit the color pallets of the game,

I used 'APE' It's very noob friendly, and their are tons of guide for it.

finding all the offsets can take time, but if you're looking to mod mmbn1, I've listed some here.
http://forums.therockmanexezone.com/topic/10021884/1

RemixV4
Oct 25 2017, 04:59 AM
Really excited to see the changes. Would it be possible to add the escape feature by pressing a button instead of using the chip like the later games? If it could do that, it would be perfect.
That's something I'd love to do, but unfortunately it looks like there's a whole lot to it.

The best I think I can hope for is a quick and dirty command to cancel the battle with a button press,
But I'd hope to at least trigger the escape chip's effect from a button press, so it's not always guaranteed.

Either way, that's a bit more than I'm able to do now.
I hope to take another crack at adding some of these features once I've had some more practice with ASM.

JTE
Nov 3 2017, 06:07 AM
There is one minor gotcha in MMBN1 that always bugged me: The way you get an email announcing new "wood armor" is available somewhere on the giant spaghetti internet that you hate to navigate, but you have to go grab it immediately because the very next thing that happens is you get locked into ElecMan's scenario, unable to backtrack and get it while ProtoMan difficulty-walls you with hits that are twice as strong as they're intended to be, because the game fully expects you to have already bought and equipped said armor before you came here and the only way out is to beat your head against him until you learn his patterns (which are understandably completely unlike anything encountered in the rest of the game in how it requires you to be patient to even be able to attack him) and can do the fight reliably without taking any hits.

I don't suppose there's any chance you could (or should) add a story flag that somehow prevents you from progressing into that trap situation without having talked to the netmerchant selling the armor first? It's probably okay if you don't, we've all played through this game before after all. :depressed:
If I ever get the opportunity to, I'd fix this for sure!
(or at least make it an optional patch)

But unfortunately I got way in over my head with some of my other planned features,
I only barely got reduced battles working, and that's just a small edit.

I'm going to try to take some time to learn some real modding before I jump back in.

I'm still dedicated to making this as close to the DS game as possible,
But I have to be realistic, looking at how long it took me to learn the extremely simple stuff I've done so far,
It's going to be quite some time before I can even put in 'Hold B to walk' Let along other things.
Edited by Prof. 9, Feb 9 2018, 06:50 PM.

Final_Enigma_7
Member Avatar
Oh wow! Never saw this coming! Thank you!
Edited by Final_Enigma_7, Feb 9 2018, 08:46 AM.
Isn't a hero suppose to save people? -Shoto Todoroki, My Hero Academia

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Projects & Releases · Next Topic »